In the process of shifting people's motivation from extrinsic to intrinsic, there are a lot of things people can do to increase their level of motivation.
Ultimately, motivation is rooted in human desires, but until you have created a complete shift in the feeling(s) of motivation, there are a number of things that you can do to move forward.
There are strong passions and desires that drive behavior, but most people live lives that are devoid of passion and counter to their deepest desires. One of the strongest motivators, that of Fear, is typically hooked into a "fear" of change, causing people to want to maintain the status quo...and maintaining the status quo doesn't allow for success or any achievement...and a life devoid of personal pride and a sense of importance.
So what can you do?
What can those you help/coach/influence do to be more motivated?
1. Reward yourself for the work you did. This will boost your morale and cause you to take more similar actions in the future since you know that your entire effort will be at the very least - self-acknowledged.
2. Allow yourself to feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of a task. Few things are more convincing than this ultimate feeling of accomplishment. If you have this feeling, it nurtures a sense of self-worth and a spirit that nurtures a belief that you can face just about anything.
3. Learn something from every task - even the humblest things you do. I was a janitor for two years. There are few jobs more humbling. No matter what task you do, it teaches you something and CAN bring you closer to your most deeply felt desires in life. You comprehend, learn and evolve and thus are more responsible to achieve a goal that once seemed impossible for you.
4. The magic of deadlines...
Setting deadlines prevents you from procrastinating about small things that can be executed by you only if you don't give more preference to your personal comforts and temptations. Deadlines make you to control yourself in a professional and self-disciplined manner.
5. Motivation works better for most people with a back up and support system.
Whether its financial problems or simply emotional challenges...when you are the sole entrepreneur of your business, it's tough to fight against all odds. If you have a reliable support system, even if they cannot erase all your problems, they can always help you by being there.